Description du poste
Seeking Hard-Working, Dedicated
Field Water Engineer in Cameroon
Innovation: Africa (iA) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization whose team of dedicated problem solvers work together to bring solar and water technologies to rural communities in Africa. We use solar energy to pump clean water and provide schools, orphanages, and medical clinics with light and refrigeration to store vaccines and medicines. iA has completed over 1000 solar, water, and agricultural projects, providing light, clean water, food and proper medical care to more than 5 million people in Ethiopia, Tanzania, Malawi, South Africa, Uganda, Cameroon, Senegal and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
We are seeking a highly trained and qualified individual to join our Cameroon team as a Field Water Engineer in Ebolowa, South Region and Garoua, North Region. This position works under the supervision of the Country Director and is responsible for overseeing iA’s solar water pumping systems, technical implementation, liaison with local contractor and in-house engineers, as well as providing technical support in all sites post completion. The Field Water Engineer will also be responsible for all iA field activities, including identifying and selecting the beneficiaries of our projects, actively engaging in community mobilization and sensitization, establishing and maintaining regular communication with the communities we serve, implementing project-related activities, providing regular reports and ongoing monitoring of the projects. Candidates should expect frequent travel to the field to identify new projects, oversee the construction and implementation of ongoing projects, and monitor completed projects.
Reports To: Country Director
- Oversee all field operations related to solar and water projects, including prospective project search, project construction/implementation, and monitoring and evaluation
- Work closely with the local contractor to plan and design all solar water pumping systems
- Oversee technical implementation of all water systems and serve as technical point person for all system designs
- Manage on-site work during all stages of the system construction and installation
- Independently assess needs for maintenance work (post-installation) in projects where a malfunction exists
- Community technical trainings and sensitization
- Track the progress of ongoing field installation and maintenance activities
- Maintain regular contact with Innovation: Africa’s engineers in Israel to successfully implement and monitor new solar technologies and remote monitoring systems.
- Appropriately sensitize the communities we work with, including establishing project steering committees and small solar-related businesses to maintain the project.
- Support the Project Manager to manage relationships with municipal officers, local leaders, and international stakeholders.
- Send daily updates and regular progress reports to the international management team regarding prospective projects, construction and implementation of current projects, and monitor existing projects.
- Experience in drilling supervision.
The ideal candidate is a dedicated team-player with strong interpersonal skills who has a background in water engineering, community development and mobilization, and working with international stakeholders. The candidate must demonstrate a proven passion for working with the community and possess detail orientation and problem-solving skills.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree or professional diploma in Water Engineering or closely related field, Master’s degree preferred
- Technologically oriented with excellent computer skills, including proficiency in email and Microsoft Office software
- At least 3 years of working experience in implementations of rural water systems
- Drilling or any relevant experience is an advantage
- Proficiency of Epanet is mandatory
- Driver’s license
- Ability to commit to flexible working hours
- Live and speak the local language(s) of South Region
- High proficiency in English and French; both writing and speaking
As an international organization, our team works in New York, Israel, and Africa, and is constantly on the move. To maintain close contact despite our travel schedules, we regularly use technology solutions, such as Slack, Zoom and more. The ideal candidate thrives in this type of fast paced environment and is comfortable working with colleagues in different time zones and continents.
- Please send your cover letter and CV as a single PDF attachment to
- The file name should be saved as your full name.
- Please include the position and country for which you are applying to work in the subject line of the email “Field Water Engineer in Cameroon”
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Innovation: Africa is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.