Description du poste
Call for Applications for the position of
RESEARCH ASSISTANT, SILK PROJECT
IITA Cameroon is looking for a Research Assistant at the Congo Basin Institute with a strong background in program management and coordination, a strong interest in the links between conservation and community development, excellent oral and written communications skills and the ability to work under minimal supervision and in remote areas.
The Congo Basin Institute is a center of higher learning and scientific excellence in Central Africa. We generate research that decision makers can use to address sub-Saharan Africa’s environmental and development challenges. CBI is driven by dedicated researchers and donors that support research and training in the Congo Basin.
We are looking for a dynamic Research Assistant to support the implementation of activities aimed at improving building capacity of community collaborators and conduct project activities around protected areas.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist the Project Manager to enhance technical skills of local assistants through collaborative research projects on plant-animal interactions and biomonitoring in and around the Dja Reserve;
- Document traditional ecological knowledge (TEK) with the aim to a) facilitate its transmission to younger generations through curriculum and courses co-developed with the Baka, b) enhance food security and livelihoods;
- Work with local communities to determine management of access to and use of their knowledge;
- Participate in, the design and execution of research into integrated conservation and livelihood projects, to evaluate their impact and understand likely responses to different interventions
- Manage own academic research and administrative activities. This involves project management, coordinating multiple aspects of work (e.g. knowledge exchange and dissemination, research, and literature review) to meet deadlines
- Address research questions and analyse scientific data from a variety of sources
- Contribute ideas for new avenues of investigation
- Represent the research team at external meetings/seminars, develop materials for local use and to promote the project to outside groups
- Lead engagement between a range of stakeholders, through a range of mediums and methods, including organising project workshops and meetings
- Collaborate in the preparation of scientific reports and journal articles and present papers and posters at conferences
- Carry out field-based investigations and collect and analyse primary or secondary data, both quantitative and qualitative
- Work on other tasks and projects as directed by supervisor.
- MSc in ecology/forestry, wildlife, botany or related fields.
Proven experience in project management
- Supervision and implementation of project activities, team building skills
- Strong technical, logistical and financial management experience of projects (grant writing, planning, budgets, implementation, monitoring and evaluation)
Knowledge of conservation issues in central Africa
- At least 5 years’ experience working on conservation or development projects.
- Work experience with local communities around the Dja Reserve and familiarity with livelihood and conservation issues there
Experience and interest in both plant and animal ecological research
- Familiarity with NTFP use transformation and value chains would be an advantage
- Experience with digital data collection; biomonitoring, use of camera traps
Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience managing community interactions including implementing FPIC
- High level of proficiency in writing and editing professional technical reports and other written products in French and English;
Experience should demonstrate that the candidate has the capacity to work with local communities, national institutions and international project partners, be willing to travel to remote areas and spend substantial time in the field
Language: The candidate must communicate fluently in both English and French.
The incumbent of the position will be based in IITA Nkolbisson, Cameroon with frequent visits to villages around the Dja reserve.
Contract type and duration
This will be a 01 (one) year renewable position
The incumbent must be available to work 40 hours per week with flexible hours.
The position is limited to Cameroonian citizens;
Equity in employment
IITA encourages applications from women, men, young people who believe they meet the requirements of the position. All applications will be assessed in a fair and objective manner.
The application file shall include the following documents:
- a detailed curriculum vitae;
- a letter of motivation (maximum of one page; including the full names of the candidate, their full address, phone number and email address);
- a copy of the national identity card;
- copies of all relevant academic diploma and professional certificates;
- a list of 3 professional referees including their contact information; one being the current or most recent employer, unless otherwise advised by candidate with a strong rationale;
- a completed online application form; kindly fill the form in addition to sending your application file available on https://forms.gle/WPrmUwsdDMWcyr8w5
The Resident Representative
International Institute of Tropical Agriculture in Cameroon
P.O. Box 2008 Yaoundé (Messa) Tel : 222237434 ; (+237) 699319747
Application for the position of: Research Assistant SILK Project
Only applications received in French or English with a completed online form will be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.