Description du poste
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF A CONSULTANT COMMUNITY CONSERVATION OFFICER, SILK PROJECT
IITA Cameroon is looking for a Consultant Community Conservation Officer for Congo Basin Institute with solid problem-solving skills, ability to work well in a team environment, excellent oral and written communications skills and the ability to work under minimal supervision and in remote areas.
The Congo Basin Institute is a center of higher learning and scientific excellence in Central Africa. We generate research that decision makers can use to address sub-Saharan Africa’s environmental and development challenges. CBI is driven by dedicated researchers and donors that support research and training in the Congo Basin.
We are looking for a responsible Community Conservation Officer whose role is to assist the Project manager in building capacity of community collaborators and conduct project activities. The Consultant Community Conservation Officer is supervised directly by Ruksan BOSE and Dr. Komi Fiaboe.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Enhance technical skills of local assistants through collaborative research projects on phenology monitoring and plant-animal interactions in and around the Dja Reserve;
- Document traditional ecological knowledge (TEK), and facilitate its transmission to younger generations through curriculum and courses co-developed with the Baka;
- Enhance food security and livelihoods through documentation and transmission of TEK related to wild foods and NTFPs;
- Manage database or portal to share local knowledge assets; work with local communities to determine management of access to and use of their local knowledge;
- Draft all necessary project reports and other communications; develop materials for local use and to promote the project to outside groups;
- Publish results from the work as appropriate in peer-reviewed publications or as grey literature;
- Work on other tasks and projects as directed by supervisor.
- Masters I or equivalent in ecology/forestry, wildlife, botany, anthropology or related fields.
- At least 2 years of experience working on research projects or community intervention programs;
- Experience of work with local communities around the Dja Reserve and familiarity with livelihood and conservation issues there
- Good organisation skills and experience managing community interactions including implementing Free Prior Informed Consent (FPIC); working in remote areas;
- Experience and interest in both plant and animal ecological research
- Familiarity with NTFP use and transformation would be an advantage
- Experience with digital data collection and camera traps will be considered an asset
- Ability to work with others as a team;
- Skilled in the use of Microsoft Office products (Word, Power Point, and Excel);
- Ability to write reports in French and English;
- Experience should demonstrate that the candidate has the capacity to work with local communities, national institutions and international project partners.
- The candidate must communicate fluently in both English and French, the knowledge of a local language would be an advantage.
- The incumbent of the position will be based in IITA Nkolbisson, Cameroon with frequent visits to villages around the Dja reserve.
Contract type and duration
- This will be a 01 (one) year consultancy position
- The incumbent must be available to work 40 hours per week with flexible hours.
- The position is limited to Cameroonian citizens;
Equity in employment
- IITA encourages applications from women, men, young people who believe they meet the requirements of the position. All applications will be assessed in a fair and objective manner.
The application file shall include the following documents:
- a detailed curriculum vitae;
- a letter of motivation (maximum of one page; including the full names of the candidate, their full address, phone number and email address);
- a copy of the national identity card;
- copies of all relevant academic diploma and professional certificates;
- a list of three professional referees including their contact information; one of them must be the current and or most recent employer, unless otherwise advised by the candidate with a strong rationale;
- a completed online application form; kindly fill the form in addition to sending your application file available on https://forms.gle/4J45UwFRJhhQgiVG6
The Resident Representative
International Institute of Tropical Agriculture in Cameroon
P.O. Box 2008 Yaoundé (Messa) Tel : 222237434 ; (+237) 699319747
Only applications received in French or English with a completed online form will be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.