Description du poste
Deputy Chief of Party/Chef de projet adjoint - Proposal
Location: Yaoundé, Cameroon
University Research Co., LLC (URC)
Guided by a strong vision of equitable and resilient systems that respond to people’s needs and emerging threats, URC helps countries and local actors to build, implement, and sustain science-driven, scalable solutions. Established in 1965, URC offers a range of technical expertise to empower governments, communities, and service providers toward strengthening their own health and social systems and improve service quality. We aim to expand access to and improve the quality of services, addressing maternal, newborn, child, and adolescent health; global health security and infectious diseases, including HIV/AIDS, TB, and malaria; reproductive health and family planning; nutrition and water, sanitation, and hygiene. In our interactions with each other and our clients, we stay true to our values for transformative change by focusing on:
Creativity: by unleashing our creativity, we enhance engagement and interaction to improve problem-solving.
Collaboration: not only our work towards the same vision and mission instill staff with a strong sense of purpose, but also enables us to complement each other’s skills and allocate work to maximize everyone’s strengths.
Accountability: we hold ourselves responsible for accomplishing goals, completing assignments, and making decisions.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion: we embrace the importance of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment, where our leadership and staff model behavior that enriches our organization, demonstrates respect for all people, and supports opportunities for all staff.
Transparency: we understand that when employees deeply trust one another and their leaders, they will be more engaged in their roles because they will not be worried about unfair treatment.
URC is searching for an experienced Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) for the anticipated USAID President Malaria Initiative (PMI) Activity in Cameroon. The PMI is a U.S. Government initiative designed to drastically reduce malaria deaths and illnesses with a long-term vision of a world without malaria. In Cameroon, PMI’s goal is to support the Government of Cameroon to improve access to and use of timely, quality, and well-documented malaria testing and treatment by providing facility- and community-based health workers with training, supervision, and malaria commodities to provide quality, effective care. The Cameroon PMI Activity will focus on malaria service delivery, including system strengthening and community-based interventions. The Activity interventions will target Adamaoua, North, and Far North regions with some components of the technical support implemented at the national level.
- The DCOP will support the overall strategic direction and technical, financial, and operational oversight of the Cameroon PMI Activity. The position combines technical leadership with management support for Activity implementation, technical assistance (TA), and documentation and sharing of results. S/he will have support liaising with USAID and other key health and non-health public and private sector stakeholders. As part of supporting successful Activity implementation, the DCOP is expected to support the Activity’s technical vision and approach along with managing teams and consortium members. S/he also will safeguard the Activity's and URC's resources by complying with contract terms and conditions, USAID, and all other applicable policies and regulations mitigating risks of fraud, waste, and abuse in all aspects of Activity operations and administration. S/he will report directly to the Chief of Party (COP) and is a member of the Activity's Senior Management Team. Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Support the COP to provide leadership to the Activity, ensure strategic direction, and ensure the implementation of high-quality activities in alignment with the Activity’s key objectives and expected outcomes.
- Supervise senior-level technical team members across the spectrum of health system strengthening and malaria interventions to ensure high quality and comprehensive programming.
- Liaise with partners, consultants, technical experts and donor and national/regional stakeholders to meet contract objectives and deliver results.
- Mobilize institutional resources, tools, best practices, innovations, and technology to deliver synergistic, evidence-based activities.
- Ensure activities are designed and implemented per evidence-based policies and best practices while being tailored to the local context.
- Contribute to achievement of objectives and benchmarks ensuring that quality of activities are maintained at the highest standards, and Activity technical objectives and deliverables are met in a timely manner and are compliant with donor regulations.
- Recruit and supervise staff to meet evolving Activity demands to contribute to Activity needs, as required.
- Provide a leadership role in the development of annual plans and reports, and ensure timely submission of deliverables, technical reports and presentations that are compliant with URC and donor guidelines and contractual specifications.
- Ensure effective compliance with USAID/USG rules and regulations, and URC policies and procedures, as well as in-country laws, and regulations.
- Contribute to URC’s overall knowledge management strategies through demonstrative thought leadership and participation at senior levels of influence to strategically direct funding and investments at the local, country, regional and global level.
- Maintain close working relationships and partnerships with Chiefs of Party of other URC-implemented projects globally.
- Perform other related duties as assigned and/or agreed upon with the supervisor/HQ.
- Represent the program in the absence of the COP.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to work under pressure in a complex environment and deliver under tight deadlines on a continual basis.
- Strong verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Strong management, interpersonal, communication, mentoring and facilitation skills.
- Excellent leadership skills and demonstrated ability to coach, mentor, and develop capacity in staff and stakeholders as well as manage and work effectively with teams.
Required Experience and Qualifications
- Master's degree or an advanced degree in public health, business administration, or related field
- At least 10 years of progressive work experience implementing projects with supervisory and managerial responsibility; field experience in USAID-assisted countries is a plus.
- At least 8 years of demonstrated successful leadership experience managing programs with a technical scope similar to the activity, including in virtual settings.
- Experience and demonstrated expertise in health system assessment and strengthening
- Experience managing teams of multi-disciplinary technical specialists.
- Demonstrated experience developing, managing, tracking, and reporting on activities and their associated budgets.
- Demonstrated ability to work with others to translate technical materials into practical tools and approaches.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake problem analyses to develop creative and innovative approaches to improve program design, implementation, and results reporting.
- Demonstrated ability to work in complex environments and manage diverse and substantial staff to deliver impact
- Excellent communication and presentation skills in English and French, demonstrating an ability to communicate with various audiences including stakeholders, partners, and donors.
- Ability to communicate effectively, instilling trust and confidence.
- Ability to analyze and interpret large amounts of data and clearly present it to decision-makers.
- Experience using a Collaborative Learning Plan to inform activity implementation.
- Prior experience working with USAID, PMI, and other international donors and knowledge of USAID/US Government policies, regulations, and procedures.
- Proven ability to develop productive working relationships with diverse public and private sector stakeholders, USAID, and other donors, implementing partners, and organizations and effectively coordinate, manage, and deal with differing priorities and perspectives.
- Fluency in English and French (oral and written) is required.
|Métier :|| |
Management, direction générale
Métiers de la santé et du social
|Secteur d´activité :|| |
Santé, pharmacie, hôpitaux, équipements médicaux
Services collectifs et sociaux, services à la personne
|Type de contrat :|| |
CDI - CDD
|Région :|| |
Bafoussam - Bamenda - Bertoua - Buéa - Douala - Ebolowa - Garoua - Maroua - Ngaoundéré - Yaoundé
|Niveau d'expérience :|| |
Expérience > 10 ans
|Niveau d'études :|| |
Bac+5 et plus
|Compétences clés :|| |
|Nombre de poste(s) :||1|