Description du poste
Call for Applications for the position of SOCIAL SCIENCE RESEARCH STUDENT
IITA Cameroon is looking for a current master’s level student with research ambitions solid problem-solving skills, ability to work well in a team environment and excellent oral and written communications skills to work on the CBI project Transformative approaches to livelihood and conservation (TALC): Learning from indigenous women and youth.
IITA is a nonprofit institution that generates agriculture innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity.
A - Duties
We are looking for a current Masters student to support the implementation of activities aimed at understanding challenges to the participation of Indigenous women and youth in conservation-livelihood initiatives. The project will explore what works for encouraging their robust participation; and how this shapes the adoption and impact of these interventions. The successful candidate will be a current student in the social sciences, and a strong interest in the links between conservation, community development, mobilising participatory approaches and gender inclusiveness.
The student will have the following responsibilities, in close collaboration with other members of the project team:
- Implementation of project activities in project sites;
- Provide technical/scientific inputs in field activities, with a focus on
- Facilitating the co-design and experimentation of inclusive interventions with relevant stakeholders and
- strengthening capacities of indigenous communities to generate change to improve both their livelihoods and conservation measures.
- Contribute to the dissemination of project achievements through publications of scientific papers, technical reports, training and extension material, success stories, and other oral and written communications;
- Assist in the organization of project meetings, workshops, field trips and other project activities in the project sites;
- Provide inputs (conceptual and analytical framework) to collect and analyse primary and secondary data;
- Undertake data collection, and provide data for M&E and contribute to reporting of project activities;
- Use collected data to prepare Masters thesis for submission in current university;
- Perform any other duties assigned by supervisor.
B – Qualification
- Bachelor’s degree in one of the following disciplines: rural development, social sciences, anthropology, agricultural economy, natural resources management, human geography, community conservation.
- Currently enrolled or planning to enroll in a Masters program in a Cameroonian university in a field related to the proposed research.
- Experience in research-for-development, and in an international organization would be an advantage;
- Experience working in interdisciplinary and multicultural teams would be an advantage;
- Past experience in data collection would also be an advantage;
- Familiarity with participatory research and primary and secondary data collection and analysis;
- Good oral and written communication skills;
- Willing to travel and work in rural and remote areas;
- The candidate must communicate fluently in French and have good reading and writing skills in English
- Knowledge of Baka language will be an asset
C - Workplace
The incumbent of the position will be based in Yaoundé, Cameroon with fieldwork around the Dja Reserve in East and South Regions and in the Littoral Region.
D – Working hours
The incumbent must be available to work 40 hours per week with flexible hours.
E – Restriction
The position is limited to Cameroonian citizens currently or planning to enroll in a Masters program in Cameroon;
F - Equity in employment
IITA encourages applications from women, men, young people who believe they meet the requirements of the position. All applications will be assessed in a fair and objective manner.
G – Application folder
The application file shall include the following documents:
- a detailed curriculum vitae;
- a letter of motivation (maximum of one page; including the full names of the candidate, their full address, phone number and email address);
- a copy of the national identity card;
- copies of all relevant academic diploma and professional certificates;
- a list of three professional referees including their contact information;
- a completed online application form; kindly fill the form in addition to sending your application file available at https://forms.gle/1tC6a8VMLRLBGs7U7
The Resident Representative
International Institute of Tropical Agriculture in Cameroon
P.O. Box 2008 Yaoundé (Messa) Tel : 222237434 ; (+237) 699319747
Email: [email protected]
Application title should read: Masters Research student - TALC
Only applications received in French or English from candidates who have filled the online form will be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted